Find a Job With Our Help
Our career counselors can help you with:
- Job search strategies
- Creating a resume and curriculum vitae
- Selecting a career path
- Preparing for an interview
- Finding employment
You can also visit the GradSuccess Office at UOB 116 for additional resources and information.
Find Academic Employment
Get help with your Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Create a Curriculum Vitae
Most academic positions require a curriculum vitae, or “CV.” A CV is similar to a resume, but longer and more detailed. Typically, it includes an extensive summary of your educational background, teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, affiliations, etc.
Check out these links for CV samples and resources:
Job Search.com's CV information page (including samples).
Duke University's CV resources.
Search for academic jobs.
Find Academic Employment
If you want a job in academia, you may need to relocate, and you must be patient. Applications are typically due months before screening begins.
Find Nonacademic Employment
Use the Imagine PhD tool.
This is a free online tool that helps with exploration and planning specifically for Humanities and Social Science PhD students and postdoctoral scholars. The assessments focus on skills, interests and values and offers students the opportunity to review job families related to their results.
Use MyIDP (Individual Development Plan) Science Careers
MyIDP (Individual Development Plan) Science Careers
This is a free exploratory tool great for Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) Masters and PhD students that helps explore career options and set goals to further identify careers paths. It includes assessments on skills, interests, values, scientific career paths, goal setting and resources guides.
Use The Versatile PhD tool.
Take Advantage of The Versatile PhD Tool
The Versatile PhD tool is a resource for graduate students in STEM and humanities & social science who are searching for nonacademic careers.
Log in to The Versatile PhD site to:
- Read first-person narratives written by PhDs and ABDs who have established nonacademic careers, describing how they did it and sharing their advice from experience
- See authentic, successful resumes and cover letters that got a humanist, social scientist or STEM professionals their first nonacademic job
- Join a supportive online community where you can dialogue with other "Versatile PhDs" in and outside the academy.
- Completely confidential. No one at any university will know you are using this website unless you tell them. Not your advisor, not your peers - nobody.
Register for Virtual Career Fair for Masters & PhD. Students.
Register for the Virtual Career Expo for Masters & PhD Students
The expo will take place online between the hours of 9am – 7pm Eastern Time and graduate students will be able to network with employers who are hiring full-time, postdoctoral and internship opportunities. There is also information on which companies sponsor work visas for our international students. Please find below some supportive materials to help students prepare for the expo!
Student Video on Expo Benefits
Check out the list of employers attending here
Resources and Job Search Sites.
Search for Nonacademic Jobs
- UCR Handshake - Jobs and internships for UCR students
- Idealist - Home to nonprofits and NGOs in every state and country
- USAjobs - Federal government job listings. The largest employer of people with graduate degrees
- SoCalHerc - Nonacademic jobs at Southern California colleges and universities
- PSE-NET - A collection of major governmental job sites: state, federal and international
- Biotech Career Center - A complete listing of all Southern California Biotech Companies
- SoCalTech- Primarily Southern California with links to some national and international listings
- Job Seeking Experiences - The Chronicle of Higher Education's discussion forum.
- Beyond Academe (PhD's in History) - Nonacademic job information for historians.
Click here for an extensive list of resources that will assist you in your nonacademic job search.