Student On-Campus Employment
**Reminder: Effective 1/1/23, the CA minimum wage rates for all employers will increase to $15.50 based on inflation regardless of number of employees at the organization. Read more HERE.
The Career Center and Human Resources have joined forces in the development of the new Student On-Campus Employment Program (SOCEP)! The Student On-Campus Employment Program (SOCEP) is a student employment program with an objective to increase on-campus student employment for those students not necessarily eligible for work-study. The goals of the program are to:
provide students the opportunity to gain valuable UC work experience while earning necessary income, in an effort to mitigate increased higher education costs.
provide departments with the opportunity to utilize the skills and abilities of UCR students, strengthen students’ employment potential upon graduation, and reduce temporary staffing costs.
Student Guidelines & Resources
- Use the resources found on the How to Look for a Job website to help you find the job you want!
- Search and apply for specific jobs via UCR Handshake
- Access the Successful Interviews website for tips on improving your interviewing experience
- Learn how to get your paycheck by direct deposit
Contact the Career Center Employer Relations Team, 8 am – 5 pm, Monday to Friday, at 951.827.2735
Department Guidelines & Resources
- Review the How to Hire a Student handout and the Student Employment Guidelines
- Post a Job via UCR Handshake for all student hires via the Student On-Campus Employment Program, which will enable accurate assessment of this new program Post the position via UCR Handshake (no need to use iRecruit)
- Be sure to attach the new Student Application form to your job posting as part of the application instructions, as well as the Supplemental Form if applicable.
- Review the Sample Job Descriptions & Suggested Salaries below as a guide to assist you in quickly describing the position you need and assigning an appropriate salary. The job description can be drafted in a variety of forms (no need to have the position classified by Human Resources). We encourage you to incorporate Career Readiness as defined by NACE to your job descriptions.
- Post the position for a minimum of 48 hours (no need to post the position for a two week minimum)
Contact the Career Center, 8 am - 5 pm, Monday to Friday, at 951.827.3631