Connect • Inspire • Empower



Sociologists examine human society and social behavior by studying groups like families and tribes and the social institutions they form. They study the behavior and interaction of groups, trace their origin and growth, and analyze the influence of group activities upon individual members.

Representative Job Titles and Area of Specialization
  • Administrative Assistant
  • Bank Officer
  • Behavior Specialist
  • Career Counselor *
  • Claims Adjuster
  • Community Development
  • Community Relations Officer
  • Consultant
  • Consumer Affairs
  • Counselor
  • Disability Evaluation Trainee
  • EEO Officer
  • Economic Development
  • Employment Counselor
  • Group Counselor
  • Health Educator *
  • Junior Planner
  • Labor Relations Specialist
  • Lawyer *
  • Librarian *
  • Management Trainee
  • Manager, Retail
  • Mental Health Counselor
  • Personnel Analyst
  • Probation Officer
  • Professor/Instructor/Teacher
  • Public Administrator
  • Recreation Worker
  • Rehabilitation Officer
  • Researcher
  • Social Security Representative
  • Social Service Assistant
  • Social Worker
  • Sociologist *
  • Underwriter
  • Urban Planner
  • Vocational Counselor
  • Volunteer Coordinator

* See Training section

Nature of the Work

Here are descriptions of some of the careers available to Sociology majors:

  • Human service workers in social service agencies interview clients, assess their needs, and establish their eligibility for services.
  • Social workers assist individuals and families with management of health, social, emotional and economic problems.
  • Group counselors are responsible for supervising the activities, safety and care of juveniles in county detention or correctional facilities.
  • Probation officers helps individuals abide by the terms and conditions of probation.
  • Those working in community, mental health, or residential care setting may lead groups, organize activities or offer individual counseling.

Places of Employment
  • Adoption agencies
  • Banks
  • City, county, state government
  • Federal Government:
    • Department of Health and Human Services
    • Department of State
    • Immigration and Naturalization Service
    • Internal Revenue Service
    • Office of Personnel Management
    • Social Security Administration
  • Hospitals
  • Insurance companies
  • Probation departments
  • Public utilities
  • Research and educational institutes
  • Retailers
  • School districts
  • Senior citizen centers
  • Social services agencies
  • Universities and colleges


A bachelor's degree qualifies you for many of the careers listed above depending on the type of courses you completed and experience you gained as an undergrad.

Typically, you would need specific education and/or experience beyond the bachelor's degree for job titles designated by an asterisk.

You would need a master's degree in social work for many positions in the mental health field. It is almost always necessary for supervisory and administrative positions.

If you want to teach and conduct research at a university, you will need a Ph.D.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.


Handshake Logo

Employers: Click to Log into Your Handshake Account

Students & Alumni: Click to Log into Handshake via CAS or (netid) Account

Employers Login Students Login Alumni Login