Connect • Inspire • Empower



Neuroscience is the scientific study of the brain and nervous system, both healthy and diseased. A bachelor's degree in Neuroscience prepares you for advanced study leading to careers in the health professions, mental health, research and teaching.

Representative Job Titles and Area of Specialization
  • Animal Behaviorist
  • Artificial Intelligence Researcher
  • Audiologist
  • Biochemist
  • Cognitive Psychologist
  • Computational Neuroscience
  • Counselor/Therapist
  • Developmental Psychologist
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Neuroanatomist
  • Neurobiologist
  • Neurochemist
  • Neuroendocrinologist
  • Neurologist
  • Neuropathologist
  • Neuropharmacology
  • Neurosurgeon
  • Neurophysiologist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Pharmacist
  • Pharmacologist
  • Physical Therapist
  • Physician
  • Physiological Psychologist
  • Physiologist
  • Professor/Instructor/Lecturer/Teacher
  • Psychiatric Technician
  • Psychiatrist
  • Psycholinguist
  • Psychologist
  • Psychometrist
  • Public Health Research
  • Speech Therapist

* See Training section

Nature of the Work

Neuroscience researchers work on a broad range of topics including: memory; human and animal behavior; learning; psychosomatic disorders; aging, and drug dependency.

Places of Employment
  • Biotechnology companies
  • County & state departments of public health
  • Department of Defense
  • Genetic engineering companies
  • Hospitals
  • Medical research centers
  • Medical supply and diagnostic firms
  • Mental health clinics
  • National Institutes of Health (NIH)
  • National research centers
  • Pharmaceutical firms
  • Social service agencies
  • Universities and colleges
  • Veterans administration


A bachelor's degree qualifies you for some entry-level jobs in Neuroscience depending on the type of courses you completed and experience you gained as an undergrad.

If you have a master's degree, some opportunities are available to work as a research associate.

Most of the jobs for Neuroscientists require a graduate degree or professional training beyond the bachelor's degree.

If you are planning on a career in research or teaching at a university, you will need a Ph.D.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.


Handshake Logo

Employers: Click to Log into Your Handshake Account

Students & Alumni: Click to Log into Handshake via CAS or (netid) Account

Employers Login Students Login Alumni Login