Connect • Inspire • Empower


Music majors most often teach and/or perform. However, there are a number of music-related fields that you may want to consider such as broadcasting, publishing and the movie industry.

Representative Job Titles and Area of Specialization
  • Arranger/Copyist
  • Arts Management
  • Autographer
  • Broadcast Director
  • Broadcasting
  • Composer
  • Conductor
  • Ethnomusicologist
  • Lyricist
  • Mixer
  • Music Critic
  • Music Editor
  • Music Librarian
  • Music Therapist
  • Musicologist
  • Performer
  • Producer
  • Professor/Instructor/Teacher
  • Programmer
  • Publishing
  • Recording
  • Recording Artist
  • Recording Engineer
  • Studio Musician
  • Vocalist


Nature of the Work

Many professional musicians work for major symphony orchestras and regional orchestras. Some also work in opera, musical comedy, ballet and movie recording.

A large number of Music majors teach in colleges, universities, music conservatories, elementary and secondary schools, or are self-employed. Many teach music and perform.

Music librarians work for large performing groups. They assist conductors in making adjustments to musical scores, order new music, keep the music library in order, and correspond with future guest conductors.

Large public libraries and special music libraries hire librarians with specialized musical knowledge. Music librarians typically acquire and catalog books, musical scores, periodicals, and recordings. Some combine their library duties with scholarly research.

Places of Employment
  • Arts organizations
  • Churches
  • Clubs
  • Community agencies
  • Conservatories
  • Libraries
  • Opera companies
  • Public relations agencies
  • Publishing houses
  • Radio stations
  • Recording studios
  • School districts
  • Symphony/regional/metropolitan orchestras


Competition for jobs as a professional musician is fierce no matter what level of degree you have.

If you are interested in being a music librarian, you would need a bachelor's degree in music and a master's in library science.

Arts organizations prefer to hire individuals with a broad knowledge of the arts and previous experience with an arts organization. You can gain experience as a college student by pursuing an internship or volunteering for an arts organization in your community.

If you want to teach at a college or university, you will need a master of arts or a master of fine arts degree. Many faculty members possess a Ph.D. or a D.M.A. (a doctorate in musical performance).

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.


Handshake Logo

Employers: Click to Log into Your Handshake Account

Students & Alumni: Click to Log into Handshake via CAS or (netid) Account

Employers Login Students Login Alumni Login