Connect • Inspire • Empower


Chemical Engineering

As a Chemical Engineer, you make or improve products used in our daily lives.

Your Chemical Engineering major also can be useful in areas like law, education, publishing, finance and medicine.

Representative Job Titles and Area of Specialization
  • Process Design Engineer
  • Environmental Engineer
  • Plant Process Engineer
  • Process Safety Engineer
  • Technical Sales Person
  • Environmental waste management
  • Chemical Plant Technical Director*
  • Petroleum Engineer
  • Project Engineer
  • Product Engineer
  • Process Safety Engineer
  • Operations/production
  • Material Engineer
  • Chemical Engineer
  • Technician
  • Regulatory Affairs Engineer
  • Professor/Teacher*

* See Training section

Nature of the Work

Chemical Engineers find efficient, economical and effective ways of solving problems. As a Chemical Engineering major, you might be involved in improving food processing techniques, making synthetic fibers for clothes, developing methods to produce drugs or controlling environmental problems. Job descriptions of many of the job titles listed above may be found on

Places of Employment
  • Manufacturing
  • Design and construction
  • Biotechnology firms
  • Petrochemicals
  • Environmental health and safety industries
  • Electronics
  • Advanced materials
  • Agricultural industry
  • Plastics industry
  • Pharmaceutical companies
  • Industrial supplies industry
  • Cosmetic companies
  • Universities and colleges
  • Federal government agencies such as:
    • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
    • Department of Energy (DOE)
  • Local/state government
  • Research institutions
  • Food and beverage processing industries


Many positions in Chemical Engineering may be obtained with a bachelor's degree depending on the type of coursework you completed and experience you gained as an undergrad.

Some positions in research and management require a master's degree.

If you are considering a career in teaching and research at the university level, you will need a Ph.D.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.


Handshake Logo

Employers: Click to Log into Your Handshake Account

Students & Alumni: Click to Log into Handshake via CAS or (netid) Account

Employers Login Students Login Alumni Login