Connect • Inspire • Empower



As a Biochemistry major, you learn to understand biology at a molecular level and techniques used in biomedical and agricultural research. The major prepares you for careers in teaching, research and development, and professional careers in the life sciences.

Representative Job Titles and Area of Specialization
  • Air Pollution Specialist *
  • Analytical Biochemist *
  • Biochemist *
  • Bio-Organic Chemist *
  • Clinical Laboratory Technologist *
  • Criminalist *
  • Dentist
  • Genetic Technician *
  • Geneticist
  • Immunologist
  • Medical Technologist
  • Microbiologist
  • Nutritionist
  • Pharmaceutical Salesperson *
  • Pharmacist
  • Pharmacologist
  • Physician
  • Plant Biochemist/Physiologist *
  • Quality Control Technician *
  • Research Assistant *
  • Science Librarian
  • Technical Writer *
  • Toxicologist
  • Veterinarian
  • Weights And Measures Assistant *

* See Training section

Nature of the Work

Biochemical researchers conduct a broad range of research projects from exploring the genetic differences between humans and primates to discovering keys to diagnosing and treating cancer to finding ways to enhance Vitamin C in plants.

As a Biochemistry professor, you would conduct research, teach and tend to some administrative duties.

Physicians and other medical professionals serve people while furthering the science of medicine.

Places of Employment
  • Corporations dealing in pharmaceuticals
  • Chemicals
  • Biochemical reagents
  • Medical supplies and diagnostics
  • Genetic engineering
  • Scientific instruments
  • Agricultural chemicals
  • Foods and cosmetics
  • University and colleges
  • Medical research centers
  • National research centers
  • Veterans Administration
  • Agricultural Research Services of the USDA
  • County & State Depts. of Public Health
  • Publishing houses
  • Hospitals


Check out the jobs with asterisks. They may be obtained with a bachelor's degree depending on the type of coursework you completed and experience you gained as an undergrad.

If you are considering a career in biochemical research, you should pursue a Ph.D. If you have a master's degree, you may work as research assistant.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.


Handshake Logo

Employers: Click to Log into Your Handshake Account

Students & Alumni: Click to Log into Handshake via CAS or (netid) Account

Employers Login Students Login Alumni Login