Visit the Career Center and meet with a counselor.
- Explore the various resources that the Career Center has to offer. Visit with a career counselor during drop-in hours from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 10 a.m.-noon on Fridays. Ask for an overview of services.
- Make an appointment with a counselor to discuss selecting a major or to strategize your career plan. The Career Center is located in Career Center Plaza, next to Surge and UNLH.
- Pick up the quarterly career calendar which lists workshops, career fairs and employer information sessions.
Attend the Freshman Game Plan Workshop.
- Log in to UCR Handshake to create your profile, find job listings, print your work study placement form (if applicable), build your resume, research options and more.
Learn about on-campus resources.
- Visit faculty during office hours.
- Visit the Counseling Center.
- Visit the Academic Resource Center.
- Make an appointment with CHASS Advisors.
Learn about student organizations.
- Check out Highlander Link to explore student organizations that you can join.
- Attend a Resume Writing Workshop, and check out our resume examples. Remember, as a freshman it is okay to include high school experience on your resume!
- Meet new people and build skills by joining a student organization.
Research summer opportunities.
- Summer school, part-time jobs, and/or volunteering are all options. Check out Jobs section on UCR Handshake and CareerShift via Resource Section in Handshake.
Resume and cover letter critique.
- Get your resume and cover letter reviewed during drop-in hours at the Career Center.
Attend our "Choosing a Major" Workshop, if needed.
Take a career assessment.
- Log in to UCR Handshake to access Focus 2 (via Resources section). This is a free assessment tool that provides information about careers and environments that fit your personality type, interests and work values. Schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor to review your results.
Finalize summer plans.
- Summer school, part-time jobs, and/or volunteering are all options. Check out Jobs section on UCR Handshake and CareerShift via Resource Section in UCR Handshake.
- Take on a part-time summer job or volunteer experience.
- Add your experiences and skills to your resume.
Conduct informational interviews.
- Meet with professionals in your field of interest and ask questions about their jobs.