Connect • Inspire • Empower



Psychologists study human behavior and the mental processes that cause us to do what we do. Some psychologists conduct research. Others may counsel and conduct training programs, do market research, or provide mental health services in hospitals, clinics and private settings.

Representative Job Titles and Area of Specialization
  • Advertising Copywriter
  • Affirmative Action Officer
  • Assistant Retail Buyer
  • Bank Officer
  • Career Counselor *
  • Claims Adjuster
  • Clinical Psychologist *
  • Community Organization Director
  • Community Relations Officer
  • Criminal Investigator
  • Day Care Center Director *
  • Disability Evaluation Trainee
  • Educational Psychologist *
  • Employment Counselor
  • Experimental Psychologist *
  • Group Counselor
  • Health Educator Psychologist *
  • Human Factors Engineer/Engineering
  • Psychologist *
  • Human Resource Development Specialist
  • Industrial Relations Arbitrator
  • Industrial/Organizational Psychologist *
  • Labor Relations Specialist
  • Laboratory Assistant
  • Loan Credit Reporter
  • Management Trainee
  • Manager, Retail/Industrial
  • Marriage, Family, Child Counselor *
  • Mental Health Assistant
  • Opinion Survey Researcher
  • Professor/Instructor/Teacher *
  • Probation/Parole Officer
  • Psychometrician *
  • Public Administrator
  • Recreation Worker
  • Rehabilitation Counselor *
  • Research Assistant
  • Sales Representative
  • School Psychologist/Counselor *
  • Social Psychologist *
  • Social Security Representative
  • Systems Analyst
  • Test Administrator
  • Test Development Assistant
  • Underwriter
  • Urban Planner *
  • Vocational Counselor
  • Volunteer Services Director

* See Training section

Nature of the Work

Clinical psychologists specialize in testing and treating patients with mental or emotional problems. They generally work in hospitals or clinics, or maintain their own practices.

Many psychologists are involved in teaching and research in universities and colleges.

There are many different types of psychologists:

  • Experimental psychologists design and conduct research in specialized areas such as learning, perception, motivation and emotion.
  • Developmental psychologists study the patterns and causes of behavioral change as people grow older.
  • Personality psychologists study human nature, individual differences, and the ways in which those differences develop.
  • Social psychologists examine people's interactions with others and with the social environment.
  • Psychologists in psychometrics develop and apply testing techniques for measuring psychological variables.
  • Industrial/organizational psychologists are concerned with the relationship between individuals and work experiences.
  • Engineering psychologists are concerned with the design and use of work environments.

Places of Employment
  • Banks
  • City, county and state government
  • Consulting firms
  • Correctional facilities
  • Federal government:
    • Department of Labor
    • Health and Human Services
    • Office of Personnel Management
    • Social Security Administration
    • Veterans Administration
    • Foundations
    • Hospitals
  • Insurance companies
  • Private practice
  • Probation departments
  • Public utilities
  • Research institutions
  • Retailers
  • Senior citizen centers
  • Social action organizations
  • Social service agencies
  • Universities and colleges


A bachelor's degree in psychology qualifies you for a wide range of career options depending on the type of courses you completed and experience you gained as an undergrad.

You would need an advanced degree for those jobs marked by an asterisk.

Some clinics and therapeutic institutions may hire well-qualified applicants with master's degrees.

A Ph.D. is required for you to be called a psychologist. It is the minimum educational requirement for psychologists who want to teach at a university or work in a hospital or for a government agency.

Most institutions require that a psychologist have completed an approved internship and have up to one year of experience.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.


Handshake Logo

Employers: Click to Log into Your Handshake Account

Students & Alumni: Click to Log into Handshake via CAS or (netid) Account

Employers Login Students Login Alumni Login