University of California, RiversideUCR

Work Study FAQ  

The Work-Study Award

I have an award letter for $1,500 Work-Study award. Does this mean I will only earn $500/quarter?

No, your total award amount is for the whole year. It can be earned unevenly throughout the award year.

What should I do if my Work-Study Award is about to run out because I used it all?

Contact Financial Aid at (951) 827-3878 or Finaid@ucr.edu if your Work-Study funds are about to run out. You could potentially receive an increase based on funding availability. Once you earn all of your Work-Study funds, notify your supervisor immediately for guidance. If you exceed your award amount, your employer will be billed at 100%.

If I don’t earn the entire Work-Study award amount this year, does the money carry to the next year?

No, your Work-Study award does not carry over to the next year.

What happens if I don’t use Work-Study in the year it was awarded to me?

If unused, the Work-Study award will be lost, and will not be offered in the future.

When I calculate my financial aid, do I include Work-Study even though I haven't started working?

Your total award amount includes the Work-Study dollar amount, but the Work-Study award will not reduce the direct charges you still owe to UCR for tuition and fees. You will earn your Work-Study award as soon as you begin working.

Will my Work-Study be disbursed with the other aid I have accepted?

No, a paycheck will be issued as you work your Work-Study job.

Can I receive my entire Work-Study award at once, or do I have to find a job first?

You must find a job, get hired, and then work in that position to earn your Work-Study award. You will be paid bi-weekly.

Work Hours and Pay

When do I get paid?

Payday is bi-weekly, as indicated on the payroll calendar. On-Campus Jobs: Speak with your employer regarding procedures and deadlines. Off-Campus Jobs: You will receive instructions during your Letter of Clearance (LOC) appointment.

Where do I access my timesheet?

Visit timesheet.ucr.edu to access the Time & Attendance Reporting System (TARS).

What happens if my timesheet is submitted late?

Late timesheets will result in the employee being paid during the next payroll cycle.

How many Work-Study hours can I work a week?

You are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week.

What time period can I use my Work-Study funds?

You can use your Work-Study funds between the first day of fall quarter (September 19, 2016) through the last day of spring quarter (June 16, 2017). Work-Study funds are not available during the summer.

Do I have to spend my earnings on tuition and fees?

You are free to spend your earnings as you wish.

Who is responsible for tracking my work hours?

Both you and your immediate supervisor (employer) are responsible for tracking the hours worked, and for submitting your timesheets in a timely manner.

Do I report my earning on my taxes?

To determine your tax obligations (if any), visit IRS.gov.

Work-Study Jobs

When can I start looking for a Work-Study job?

You may begin looking for a Work-Study position one week prior to the start of fall quarter.

When can I begin using my Work-Study funds?

Work-Study funds must be used between September 19, 2016, and June 16, 2017. Work-Study funds are not available during the summer.

Will UCR find or place me in a job?

No, you are responsible for applying for and securing a Work-Study job. UCR does not place students in jobs.

How do I find open Work-Study positions?

All open positions are listed in SCOTjobs.

Where Can I Find My Placement Form?

A Placement Form is used to “register” you for Work-Study. Visit SCOTjobs to print a Placement Form, and take it with you to the interview. One Placement Form must be completed and submitted to Financial Aid for each position you obtain.

How do I get a Letter of Clearance (LOC)?

A Letter of Clearance (LOC) is only required for off-campus jobs. To schedule a LOC appointment, secure a job and then visit the Student Services Building. You MUST bring a copy of the job description, your placement form, a picture ID (passport, driver's license or state ID), and your social security card. An appointment will NOT be made for you if you do not have these documents.


Are off-campus Work Study jobs available?

Yes, each job description on SCOTjobs will provide details about the placement location.


Can I get academic credit with my Work-Study job?

You could potentially earn academic credit from your Work-Study job. The final determination is made by your academic department. To be considered, the job must be a meaningful learning experience, and it must be related to your coursework. For more information, visit Internships or connect with a Career Center counselor.


Are there any tips to finding a Work-Study job?

Begin your job search early by using SCOTjobs. Tailor your resume to the needs of a desired position. Before uploading it, bring your resume to the Career Center during Drop-in Hours: Monday-Thursday (10am-3pm) and Friday (10 am-12 pm). A counselor will offer suggestions to make it shine. Then conduct some practice interviews using our Mock Interview tool on SCOTLink.




Contact the Career Center
at (951) 827-3631
or careercounseling@ucr.edu.
for help with:
Job search assistance
Help with Work-Study job application Drop-In counseling




Contact Financial Aid
at (951) 827-3878
or Finaid@ucr.edu.
for help with:
Work-Study eligibility
Award adjustments
Letter of Clearance appointments
Paycheck pick up

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Career Center
Career Center Plaza

Tel: (951) 827-3631
Fax: (951) 827-2447
Student Questions: careercounseling@ucr.edu
Employer Questions: careerrecruiting@ucr.edu