What is Work-Study?
Work-Study is a program that is funded by the government. It offers financial support to students with a demonstrated financial need. Eligible students may use their award by obtaining a Work-Study job at the University or with an approved off-campus employer. Work-Study funds must be used from September 19, 2016, to June 16, 2017.
To be eligible, you must:
- File your FAFSA by the March 2 deadline. (Note: FAFSA is available each year beginning October 1.)
- Demonstrate a financial need, as determined by the Financial Aid Office.
- Accept your award via R’Web.
- Remain enrolled, and maintain “Satisfactory Academic Progress” while working under the program (i.e. a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0).
- Have used your Work-Study allocation the previous award year (for continuing students only). If you did not use previous funds, you may not be eligible for future funds.
If you qualify for Work-Study, you will be notified in your financial aid award letter. The gross earnings you can receive under the program will also be included in the letter.
Deadlines for 2016-2017
Work-Study funds can only be used between September 19, 2016, and June 16, 2017.
New Work-Study students are encouraged to attend one of the following orientations PRIOR to applying for Work-Study positions.
- Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2017, at 10 11 am in HUB 260
- Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017, at 11 am-12:30 pm in HUB 260
If you can't attend a Work-Study orientation, visit the Virtual Career Center. Click on the Work-Study tab to view an online orientation presentation. Otherwise, get the need-to-know highlights by contacting the Work-Study Coordinator at (951) 827-2735.
Use your Work-Study award and enjoy the following:
- Access to more on-campus jobs
- A flexible schedule for academics
- Saved gas money and travel time
- Paid experience
- Transferable skills to build your resume
- An established network
- The potential to gain academic credit for an internship
- A meaningful place within the UCR community
Contact the Career Center
at (951) 827-3631
for help with:
- Job search assistance
- Help with Work-Study job application
- Drop-In counseling
Contact Financial Aid
at (951) 827-3878
for help with
- Work-Study eligibility
- Award adjustments
- Letter of Clearance appointments
- Paycheck pick up