University of California, RiversideUCR


Art History

Your degree in Art History is excellent training for anyone interested in teaching the subject or working in a museum or gallery. There are many other career choices to consider although many require advanced degrees.

Representative Job Titles and Areas of Specialization

Acquisitions Curatorial Assistant
Advertising Docent Coordinator *
Architect * Education Director *
Architectural Renderer Exhibits Designer
Archivist Gallery Director *
Art Appraiser Historic Preservationist *
Art Conservator * Insurance
Art Critic * Museum Director
Art Historian * Museum/Gallery Curator *
Art Librarian * Museum Publishing
Art Preparator Museum Registrar *
Art Restoration * Professor/Instructor/Teacher *
Art Specialist Publishing
* See Training Section

Nature of the Work

Teaching opportunities are available at the high school and college level.


Museums and galleries offer you a wide range of opportunities:
  • Registrars maintain all records of the museum's art collection. You would make arrangements for exhibitions, loans and art acquisitions.
  • Conservators are involved in the care of objects in the museum or gallery collection. You would be responsible for the restoration and repair of art objects. You also would direct your staff on the proper handling, mounting and storage of the collection.
  • Curators are responsible for exhibits and research activities. They also supervise the museum's employees.
  • Education staff members arrange tours and develop programs, lectures and demonstrations.


Places of Employment

Advertising firms Health and Human Services
Architectural firms Galleries
Auction houses Historical archives
Book, print or slide libraries Historical societies
Corporations Local and state government
Federal government Museums
Department of Defense Publishers
Department of the Interior Retailers
Department of State Universities/colleges
General Services Administration  


Your bachelor's degree is sufficient for many of the jobs available to Art History majors. Those titles with an asterisk generally require specific education and/or experience beyond a bachelor's degree.

If you are considering a career in teaching and research on the university level, then you would need a Ph.D.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Career Center
Career Center Plaza

Tel: (951) 827-3631
Fax: (951) 827-2447
Student Questions: careercounseling@ucr.edu
Employer Questions: careerrecruiting@ucr.edu