University of California, RiversideUCR



Sociologists examine human society and social behavior by studying groups like families and tribes and the social institutions they form. They study the behavior and interaction of groups, trace their origin and growth, and analyze the influence of group activities upon individual members.

Representative Job Titles and Areas of Specialization

Administrative Assistant Librarian *
Bank Officer Management Trainee
Behavior Specialist Manager, Retail
Career Counselor * Mental Health Counselor
Claims Adjuster Personnel Analyst
Community Development Probation Officer
Community Relations Officer Professor/Instructor/Teacher
Consultant Public Administrator
Consumer Affairs Recreation Worker
Counselor Rehabilitation Officer
Disability Evaluation Trainee Researcher
EEO Officer Social Security Representative
Economic Development Social Service Assistant
Employment Counselor Social Worker
Group Counselor Sociologist *
Health Educator * Underwriter
Junior Planner Urban Planner
Labor Relations Specialist Vocational Counselor
Lawyer * Volunteer Coordinator
* See Training section

Nature of the Work


Here are descriptions of some of the careers available to Sociology majors:
  • Human service workers in social service agencies interview clients, assess their needs, and establish their eligibility for services.
  • Social workers assist individuals and families with management of health, social, emotional and economic problems.
  • Group counselors are responsible for supervising the activities, safety and care of juveniles in county detention or correctional facilities.
  • Probation officers helps individuals abide by the terms and conditions of probation.

Those working in community, mental health, or residential care setting may lead groups, organize activities or offer individual counseling.

Places of Employment

Adoption agencies Hospitals
Banks Insurance companies
City, county, state government Probation departments
Federal Government: Public utilities
- Department of Health and Human Services Research and educational institutes
- Department of State Retailers
- Immigration and Naturalization Service School districts
- Internal Revenue Service Senior citizen centers
- Office of Personnel Management Social services agencies
- Social Security Administration Universities and colleges


A bachelor's degree qualifies you for many of the careers listed above depending on the type of courses you completed and experience you gained as an undergrad.

Typically, you would need specific education and/or experience beyond the bachelor's degree for job titles designated by an asterisk.

You would need a master's degree in social work for many positions in the mental health field. It is almost always necessary for supervisory and administrative positions.

If you want to teach and conduct research at a university, you will need a Ph.D.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Career Center
Career Center Plaza

Tel: (951) 827-3631
Fax: (951) 827-2447
Student Questions: careercounseling@ucr.edu
Employer Questions: careerrecruiting@ucr.edu