University of California, RiversideUCR



Music majors most often teach and/or perform. However, there are a number of music-related fields that you may want to consider such as broadcasting, publishing and the movie industry.

Representative Job Titles and Areas of Specialization

Arranger/Copyist Music Therapist
Arts Management Musicologist
Autographer Performer
Broadcast Director Producer
Broadcasting Professor/Instructor/Teacher
Composer Programmer
Conductor Publishing
Ethnomusicologist Recording
Lyricist Recording Artist
Mixer Recording Engineer
Music Critic Studio Musician
Music Editor Vocalist
Music Librarian  

Nature of the Work

Many professional musicians work for major symphony orchestras and regional orchestras. Some also work in opera, musical comedy, ballet and movie recording.

A large number of Music majors teach in colleges, universities, music conservatories, elementary and secondary schools, or are self-employed. Many teach music and perform.

Music librarians work for large performing groups. They assist conductors in making adjustments to musical scores, order new music, keep the music library in order, and correspond with future guest conductors.

Large public libraries and special music libraries hire librarians with specialized musical knowledge. Music librarians typically acquire and catalog books, musical scores, periodicals, and recordings. Some combine their library duties with scholarly research.

Places of Employment

Arts organizations Public relations agencies
Churches Publishing houses
Clubs Radio stations
Community agencies Recording studios
Conservatories School districts
Libraries Symphony/regional/metropolitan orchestras
Opera companies  



Competition for jobs as a professional musician is fierce no matter what level of degree you have.


If you are interested in being a music librarian, you would need a bachelor's degree in music and a master's in library science.

Arts organizations prefer to hire individuals with a broad knowledge of the arts and previous experience with an arts organization. You can gain experience as a college student by pursuing an internship or volunteering for an arts organization in your community.

If you want to teach at a college or university, you will need a master of arts or a master of fine arts degree. Many faculty members possess a Ph.D. or a D.M.A. (a doctorate in musical performance).

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Career Center
Career Center Plaza

Tel: (951) 827-3631
Fax: (951) 827-2447
Student Questions: careercounseling@ucr.edu
Employer Questions: careerrecruiting@ucr.edu