University of California, RiversideUCR



Psychologists study human behavior and the mental processes that cause us to do what we do. Some psychologists conduct research. Others may counsel and conduct training programs, do market research, or provide mental health services in hospitals, clinics and private settings.

Representative Job Titles and Areas of Specialization

Advertising Copywriter Loan Credit Reporter
Affirmative Action Officer Management Trainee
Assistant Retail Buyer Manager, Retail/Industrial
Bank Officer Marriage, Family, Child Counselor *
Career Counselor * Mental Health Assistant
Claims Adjuster Opinion Survey Researcher
Clinical Psychologist * Professor/Instructor/Teacher *
Community Organization Director Probation/Parole Officer
Community Relations Officer Psychometrician *
Criminal Investigator Public Administrator
Day Care Center Director * Recreation Worker
Disability Evaluation Trainee Rehabilitation Counselor *
Educational Psychologist * Research Assistant
Employment Counselor Sales Representative
Experimental Psychologist * School Psychologist/Counselor *
Group Counselor Social Psychologist *
Health Educator Psychologist * Social Security Representative
Human Factors Engineer/Engineering Systems Analyst
Psychologist * Test Administrator
Human Resource Development Specialist Test Development Assistant
Industrial Relations Arbitrator Underwriter
Industrial/Organizational Psychologist * Urban Planner *
Labor Relations Specialist Vocational Counselor
Laboratory Assistant Volunteer Services Director
* See Training section

Nature of the Work

Clinical psychologists specialize in testing and treating patients with mental or emotional problems. They generally work in hospitals or clinics, or maintain their own practices.

Many psychologists are involved in teaching and research in universities and colleges.

There are many different types of psychologists:

  • Experimental psychologists design and conduct research in specialized areas such as learning, perception, motivation and emotion.
  • Developmental psychologists study the patterns and causes of behavioral change as people grow older.
  • Personality psychologists study human nature, individual differences, and the ways in which those differences develop.
  • Social psychologists examine people's interactions with others and with the social environment.
  • Psychologists in psychometrics develop and apply testing techniques for measuring psychological variables.
  • Industrial/organizational psychologists are concerned with the relationship between individuals and work experiences.
  • Engineering psychologists are concerned with the design and use of work environments.

Places of Employment

Banks Hospitals
City, county and state government Insurance companies
Consulting firms Private practice
Correctional facilities Probation departments
Federal government Public utilities
Department of Labor Research institutions
Health and Human Services Retailers
Office of Personnel Management Senior citizen centers
Social Security Administration Social service agencies
Veterans Administration Universities and colleges
Foundations Social action organizations


A bachelor's degree in psychology qualifies you for a wide range of career options depending on the type of courses you completed and experience you gained as an undergrad.

You would need an advanced degree for those jobs marked by an asterisk.

Some clinics and therapeutic institutions may hire well-qualified applicants with master's degrees.

A Ph.D. is required for you to be called a psychologist. It is the minimum educational requirement for psychologists who want to teach at a university or work in a hospital or for a government agency.

Most institutions require that a psychologist have completed an approved internship and have up to one year of experience.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Career Center
Career Center Plaza

Tel: (951) 827-3631
Fax: (951) 827-2447
Student Questions: careercounseling@ucr.edu
Employer Questions: careerrecruiting@ucr.edu