University of California, RiversideUCR



Your ability to make a living as a painter, sculpture or film-maker depends on your talent, circumstances and public opinion. That's why you might want to consider pursuing a complementary career as an art teacher, designer, art critic or gallery director until you get your big break.

The creativity that make you a good artist can be applied to careers in advertising, public relations, publishing, television, journalism , museum and gallery work, movies and theaters. An art background also makes you an ideal candidate for work in art therapy, arts administration, libraries and education.


Representative Job Titles and Areas of Specialization

Advertising Designer Film Making
Animator Gallery Director
Architect Graphic Artists
Architectural Renderer Illustrator
Art Critic Industrial Design
Art Dealer Interior Design
Art Director Landscape Design Artist
Art Editor Medical And Scientific Illustration
Art Librarian Painter
Art Therapist Photo Editor
Cartoonist Photographer
Calligrapher Printmaker
Commercial Artist Professor/Instructor/Teacher
Creative Director Publishing
Curator Sculptor
Display Artist Set Designer
Exhibits Specialist Textile Design
Fashion Design Set Designer
Fashion Illustration Visual Information Specialist

Nature of the Work

As a major in one of the fine arts, the ideas for your creations typically come from within.

Commercial or graphic artists create materials that meet their clients' needs such as designing special packaging for a new product or updating the company website. Graphic artists are in demand now as more emphasis is placed on visual appeal in product design, advertising and marketing.

Places of Employment

Advertising agencies Industrial design firms
Architectural firms Magazine/newspaper publishers
Art institutes Manufacturing firms
City, county and state government Motion picture industry
Federal government Museum
Department of Justice Public relations firms
Department of the Interior Publishing companies
Health and Human Services Rehabilitation centers
Treasury Department Retailers
Veteran's Administration School districts
Galleries Television/radio
Hospitals Theaters


A bachelor's degree is sufficient if you are planning on becoming a professional artist. If you would like to further your mastery of the subject or share it with others as a teacher, then a graduate degree is the way to go.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Career Center
Career Center Plaza

Tel: (951) 827-3631
Fax: (951) 827-2447
Student Questions: careercounseling@ucr.edu
Employer Questions: careerrecruiting@ucr.edu