University of California, RiversideUCR



Entomology is the study of how insects relate to their environment and to man.

As an entomologist, you may choose to concentrate on the bad bugs: those that destroy food, housing, plants and clothing, and cause discomfort and diseases in humans, livestock and pets. Or you may choose to focus on the good bugs: those that provide food, pollinate crops, destroy harmful insects or are food for birds and fish.

Representative Job Titles and Areas of Specialization

Area Farm Advisor Mosquito Abatement Program *
Agricultural Entomology Museum Curator
Apiculture Pest Control Advisor
Biological Control Consultant Pest Control Technician *
Economic Entomologist * Pest Management Specialist *
Expeditions (Overseas Searches) Pesticide Development And Analysis
Experimentalist Pesticide Use Specialist
Extension Entomologist Population Biology
Food-Plant Sanitation * Quarantine Inspector *
Forest Entomologist Registration Specialist *
Genetic Entomologist (Agricultural Chemicals)
Grain And Commodity Inspector * Research Assistant/Technician *
Host Plant Resistance Staff Research Associate *
Insect Biosystematist Stored Products Entomologist *
Insect Ecology Survey Entomologist
Insect Pathologist Taxonomist (Identification
Insect Physiologist And Research)
Instructor/Professor Technical Marketing Representative *
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Technical Writer/Editor *
IPM Field Scout * Toxicologist
Laboratory Assistant * Urban/Industrial Entomologist
Laboratory Technician * Vector Control Specialist *
Medical Entomologist Veterinary Entomologist
* See Training section

Nature of the Work

Entomologists, who work in applied research, concentrate on solving specific problems such as developing insect-resistant plants to eliminate the need for harmful pesticides.

Those who work in inspection and control investigate damage by insects to a variety of products. They may develop or suggest accepted methods to control or eliminate the insects.

Entomologists in an academic setting are responsible for teaching, research and some administrative duties.

Places of Employment

Colleges, universities Pest control companies
U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Conservation agencies
Agricultural Research Service Corporations involved in food,
U.S. Forest Service fiber and forest products
State departments of agriculture Cooperative Extension
Armed forces State and federal plant quarantine
Museums agencies
Consulting firms Local, state & federal departments
Agricultural chemicals industry of public health
Mosquito control agencies Independent laboratories


Check out the jobs with asterisks. They may be obtained with a bachelor's degree depending on the type of coursework you completed and experience you gained as an undergrad.

A master's degree is considered the minimum qualification for professional entomologists. If you want to teach and conduct research at a university, you would need a Ph.D.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Career Center
Career Center Plaza

Tel: (951) 827-3631
Fax: (951) 827-2447
Student Questions: careercounseling@ucr.edu
Employer Questions: careerrecruiting@ucr.edu