University of California, RiversideUCR


Political Science

Political scientists investigate the ways in which political power is organized, distributed and used at the local, state, national and international level. They study a range of subjects including international relations, public opinion and how political decisions are made.

Representative Job Titles and Area of Specialization

Administrative Officer International Relations
Advertising Journalist
Bank Officer Lawyer *
City Planner * Lobbyist
Claims Adjuster Management Trainee
Community Development Market Research
Congressional Staff Member * Personnel Analyst
Consumer Affairs Political Scientist *
Criminal Justice Probation Officer
Economic Development Professor/Instructor/Teacher *
Elected Public Official Public Administration
Foreign Affairs Public Information Officer *
Foreign Service Officer Public Relations
Intelligence Analyst Social Security Representative
* See Training section

Nature of the Work

Most political scientists are involved in teaching, research, and consulting in colleges and universities.

Some political scientists are primarily researchers or consultants for businesses, courts, government, trade associations and citizens' groups. They may work at lobbyists, journalists or as advisors to candidates for political office.

Places of Employment

City, county and state government Insurance companies
Consulting firms International organizations
Federal government: Museums
Central Intelligence Agency Political organizations
Department of Defense Professional associations
Department of State Public interest groups
Environmental Protection Agency Public utilities
Immigration and Naturalization Service Research institutes
Office of Personnel Management Retailers
Social Security Administration Universities and colleges


A bachelor's degree qualifies you for many of the careers listed above depending on the type of courses you completed and experience you gained as an undergrad.

Typically, you would need specific education and/or experience beyond the bachelor's degree for job titles designated by an asterisk.

A master's degree qualifies you for some administrative and research positions in government and industry.

If you want to teach and conduct research at a university, you will need a Ph.D.

For further information and/or career counseling contact the UCR Career Center, (951) 827-3631.

Supplemental Material

The following documents may provide further ideas for exploration.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Career Center
Career Center Plaza

Tel: (951) 827-3631
Fax: (951) 827-2447
Student Questions: careercounseling@ucr.edu
Employer Questions: careerrecruiting@ucr.edu