Find a Job With Our Help
Our career counselors can help you with:
- Job search strategies
- Creating a resume and curriculum vitae
- Selecting a career path
- Preparing for an interview
- Finding employment
You can also visit the GradSuccess Office at UOB 116 for additional resources and information.
Find Academic Employment
Get help with your Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Create a Curriculum Vitae
Most academic positions require a curriculum vitae, or “CV.” A CV is similar to a resume, but longer and more detailed. Typically, it includes an extensive summary of your educational background, teaching and research experience, publications, presentations, awards, affiliations, etc.
Check out these links for CV samples and resources:
Job Search.com's CV information page (including samples).
Duke University's CV resources.
Search for academic jobs.
Find Academic Employment
If you want a job in academia, you may need to relocate, and you must be patient. Applications are typically due months before screening begins.
Find Nonacademic Employment
Use The Versatile PhD tool.
Take Advantage of The Versatile PhD Tool
The Versatile PhD tool is a resource for graduate students in STEM and humanities & social science who are searching for nonacademic careers.
Log in to The Versatile PhD site to:
- Read first-person narratives written by PhDs and ABDs who have established nonacademic careers, describing how they did it and sharing their advice from experience
- See authentic, successful resumes and cover letters that got a humanist, social scientist or STEM professionals their first nonacademic job
- Join a supportive online community where you can dialogue with other "Versatile PhDs" in and outside the academy.
- Completely confidential. No one at any university will know you are using this website unless you tell them. Not your advisor, not your peers - nobody.
Instructions for accessing the Versatile PhD Tool:
- Log in to SCOTLink.
- On the left column, click on "Jobs" and scroll down to select "Versatile PhD."
- Log in using your UCR email/password.
- See next step if initial login fails.
If Versatile PhD does not recognize your UCR login information, you must register and create an account.
Note: You can only access the premium section if you log in through SCOTlink first. The Versatile PhD premium account credential will last until you log out or close your browser, or until midnight Pacific Standard Time. If you are using the premium content area before and after midnight, you will have to re-establish your credential by revisiting and reloading the page.
Use the Imagine PhD tool.
This is a free online tool that helps with exploration and planning specifically for Humanities and Social Science PhD students and postdoctoral scholars. The assessments focus on skills, interests and values and offers students the opportunity to review job families related to their results.
Resources and Job Search Sites.
Search for Nonacademic Jobs
SCOTjobs - Jobs and internships for UCR students
Idealist - Home to nonprofits and NGOs in every state and country
USAjobs - Federal government job listings. The largest employer of people with graduate degrees
SoCalHerc - Nonacademic jobs at Southern California colleges and universities
PSE-NET - A collection of major governmental job sites: state, federal and international
Biotech Career Center - A complete listing of all Southern California Biotech Companies
SoCalTech- Primarily Southern California with links to some national and international listings
Job Seeking Experiences - The Chronicle of Higher Education's discussion forum.
Beyond Academe (PhD's in History) - Nonacademic job information for historians.
Click here for an extensive list of resources that will assist you in your nonacademic job search.